Tuesday, September 29, 2009

September 24, 2009

After pausing early this morning at the rest stop, I took the wheel and we headed into Chicago. Breakfast at the Four Square Restaurant was yummy.



I had the Strawberry Crepes, just for something different. I only made it through two out of the three crepes, but the sugar content was just enough to get me through the rest of the day.



After breakfast we headed on to the Museum of Science and Industry, off of Lake Shore Road. So many neat things to see. Newspaper headlines from World War II . . .



a U505 submarine . . .



the Apollo 8 Lunar Module . . .


a very colorful wall of lights in the Petroleum section . . .



and my little guy's favorite . . . a John Deere combine that showed each of the working parts through a clear glass panel (on the other side).




Although I don't think the kids fully appreciated all the coolness of this stop, Dave and I truly enjoyed it. However, something we DIDN'T enjoy was the mass of toll roads we ran into as we left.


I swear we hit four of these cute little toll bridges, within a 5 mile stint. I loved seeing all the sites on the way . . .



but I was SO glad to finally reach our destination.

We made it to my brother-in-law's (and soon to be sister-in-law's) around 5:00. Dave's folks showed up shortly after, and then we went into town and had a FABULOUS meal at Cancun's Mexican Restaurant.

It was truly a joy to lay down, and stretch out with the kids for some much needed shut eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment