Saturday, February 13, 2010

February 12, 2010 ~ 12 of 12 Plus 1

Today I'm grateful for survival.  It's been a long day.  Up before 5:00 a.m. and it's 12:08 a.m. as I type.

My day started off with Pilates (my muscles are still screaming for mercy from yesterday's cardio workout), and then I got my oldest up for school.  My sister-in-law called at 6:30 a.m. to see if she could drop Kasey off to get on the bus, since there has been yet another hiccup in "the saga".  I'm finding that as I get older, the less I like to deal with foolishness, and right now it's running rampant around here.  My patience grows thin. And I'm not particularly pointing fingers at just one source here, just so you know.

Aw well . . . it's not mine to worry about, so on to the rest of my day.  Dad called around 8:30 a.m. asking if I could go down and check on one of the sows, which was close to having pigs, since no one would be home until later in the afternoon.  So I pulled on my coveralls and my rubber boots and trudged through the snow to check on her.

She was doing fine.

So I headed back out into the snow, and played around in some of the old buildings while I was there.

The old farrin' (farrowing) house, has seen MUCH better days, but I tromped inside to see if anything had changed, from when I used to clean it out every afternoon, back in my youth.  Some of the solar panels had caved in and it was snowing through the roof . . .

and the building wasn't in the best shape, but it afforded me the opportunity to get some nice photos, out of the wet snowy weather.

Then I moved to the equipment shed to plug in the tractor, to haul hay to the cows.  Luckily my brother showed up just in time to take care of that task.

When I got back in, Dave fixed Eli some oranges . . .

and then got back to work on his term paper.

After lunch, we all headed out to Bayleigh's school Valentine's party.  (Dave actually had another Friday off, and got to go with us!)

Eli quickly found something to keep him occupied, while I took pictures.

When we finished up at school, we headed to the bulk food store.  So many wonderful spices and cooking supplies, that you can't just buy at your regular grocery store.

And so many neat sights along the way.  This group of Mennonites rely on bicycles . . .

and buggys to get them where they need to go. 

They have their own little community with folks who specialize in so many different things.  Saddle making and repair, furniture making, greenhouses, stone and concrete . . . it's just amazing.  I can't help but think that these people have it so much better than the rest of us.  Even without all the frills of technology.

And here it is 12:30 a.m. on the 13th.  I'm glad I can sleep in a little in the morning.  Basketball camp doesn't start until 10:30 a.m.  Maybe I can improve on my action photography tomorrow.  We'll see what I can come up with.


  1. What a day you had, very busy one.

    There are some interesting shots there, like the Farrin house, the mennonites and the horse.. all amazing shots. Well done and thanks for sharing.

  2. Great photos made all the better by the story. Thanks for your time and sharing your 12 of 12.