Saturday, May 15, 2010

May 15, 2010

Today I'm thankful that my huskey is no longer suffering.  I've dreaded this day for months now . . .

When I went out to feed him this afternoon, I found that he'd slept all night outside in the cold and rain; unable to get up and make it to his dog house.  He was cold and shivering, and I could tell he was suffering and in pain.  I fed him a good meal and spent a half hour saying my goodbyes and trying to comfort him one last time.  Then I came in and asked Dave if he could put him down.  Dave was a sweetheart and took him some more food, made him as comfortable as possible, and put him out of his misery.  He is buried looking out over the wide open fields of wildflowers at the back side of the property, where our black Lab was buried a few years ago.  May he finally rest in peace.  We'll miss him dearly.

After Ike was given a proper burial, we all got cleaned up and went to a baby shower.  We visited with people we hadn't got to see in years!

It was nice to catch up with everyone and wish the soon to be parents good luck and congratulations.

The creek has continued to rise with all the rain, but hopefully next week we'll finally get to see some sunshine.  It seems to have disappeared this week, and I'm guessing it's vacationing somewhere in Mexico.

Dave has decided to finish cleaning out the garage, so I did my part, by pulling all the shelves out of my behemoth of a file cabinet and taking them upstairs.  Dave will be bringing the actual file cabinet upstairs tomorrow.  That sucker weighs a TON!  I had planned on painting it to match my retreat, but after looking more closely at the drawers, I found I can't remove the brass plates or handles . . . (at least it matches my ugly green carpet!).  I guess I'll just be cleaning it up and using it as is (or until I figure out a way to dismantle the drawers).  I plan to use it to store my printed photos.  There are lots of drawers and it will take me eons to fill this baby up.  Well worth the $20 trade I made with the neighbor lady.

This has been a pretty emotional day for me, so I'm hoping to make it to bed before midnight.  The past two nights have been AWESOME and I've gotten in at least 5 hours of sleep each night.  Five hours is kind of what I set my goal out to be.  It's usually less, but every now and then I can sneak in a few "catch up" hours.  I'm hoping tonight is one of those "catch up" nights.


  1. Sorry to hear that your husky's time finally arrived. Saying goodbye is always painful, but I think you've saved him a lot of pain. I hope you're OK right now.

    Hope you get some sunshine soon and don't feel bad about not having one, because you're not alone.

    Wish you a good night sleep and hope you feel much better tomorrow.

  2. Oh, so sorry to hear about Ike. It is so hard when the time has come.
    I guess if you guys still don't have sunshine, then it won't happen for us tomorrow.