Saturday, June 5, 2010

June 5, 2010

Today I'm thankful for "new" old shoes, and girls that know how to laugh and have fun.

I ran my second 5k today.  A Relay for Life run to raise money for cancer research and treatments for those in the area who need it.  As some of you know, my little brother is a cancer survivor.  He's been in remission for 4 years now, and he's going strong.


My newest pair of running shoes is completely worn out, so I brought out my old shoes for today's run; added new insoles and they were like walking on air.  I'm glad I hadn't thrown them out yet.  I ran the three miles in a little under 30 minutes, and came in 8th, which I thought was pretty good for this old gal.


After the run, Dave and the kids met me down below the dam, to play at the park, and then I picked up some groceries for tonight's 4-H dinner at the local community building.


We had lots of food, and several locals stopped by to have dinner with us all.


The older 4-H girls helped serve, and I believe they all had a good time laughing and cracking jokes. (They're really quite hilarious.)


I made it home right as the sun was setting. 

It's been a long day and tomorrow is going to be even longer and more challenging, so I'm hoping to make it to bed at a decent hour tonight.   Here's hoping!

3 comments:

  1. Never knew about your brother, but I'm happy he's a survivor and I hope he stays well forever.

    I'm proud of you because you care about others and you try not to only feel with them, but to also do something for them.

    Wish you strength for tomorrow's challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shirley! I think I'm beginning to enjoy these runs! ;)

    M. ~ Thanks for the well wishes. There was a time or two we thought we would lose him, but God has blessed us all so very much.

    ReplyDelete